Seaside/Squeak, Ruby

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 20 16:16:45 UTC 2006

Hi Yanni,
I don't want to come across as a Rails zealot, especially since I'm
just starting to learn it! As a PHP developer looking for a more
structured development environment, I really like what Rails has to
offer, and I find that Ruby is a very elegant language in its own way.

I purchased the one book available for Rails, which you can also buy
as a downloadable PDF with free updates (sweet):

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html

But having gone through about a third of that book, I think I have
gotten more out of this shorter PDF:

http://www.rails4days.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Rails4Days.pdf

And here, despite about three errors in the text that actually helped
me really get in and understand how Rails works, I think I really had
my "aha!" moment and understood how it all fits together: ergo, just
how flexible the environment is: you can swap in your own code quite
easily and replace Rails methods with your own. The credo of the
project is, we'll provide you with the basics, but you can do it your
own way at any point. Very elegant and very orthogonal, as ESR might
put it.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch04s02.html#orthogonality

Cheers,
Aaron.