Seaside/Squeak, Ruby

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 20 16:06:42 UTC 2006

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Are you referring to this presentation?

No. It's a tutorial on a website where you follow the instructions
and type code that's sent to an interpeter. It's about the features
of the Ruby language itself. BTW, Ruby was invented as a way
to put Smalltalk (i.e. Squeak) into a more familiar enviroment
of file-based developers. I was wanting to get a feel for what
working in Ruby was like, but the tutorial was doing strings,
collections, etc. in an interpeter window, at the point where
I stopped. The movie below gives me a much better feel for what
it's like to work in Ruby.

> http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov

Thanks for the link. If I were not coming from a Seaside/Squeak
perspective, then I'd be wildly impressed.

> This is THE demo that seems to have blown everyone away, and turned
> Ruby from a curiosity into a Rails-driven monster. To be sure this
> demo is a starting point, but the site has a lot more meat to it.
>
> http://www.rubyonrails.com/docs
>
> Give it more than 3 minutes and you'll see.

Applications almost always get tricky at a certain level of
complexity. What I want to know is how Ruby/Rails can let
you stray from the norm.

--
Yanni Chiu