disgustingly offtopic: energy shopping

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 19 23:07:09 UTC 2006

On 19 Jan 2006 17:48:02 -0500, Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> > > But, they represent another "middleman" in all this.  So, My question is,
> > >     - why would it be cheaper for me to have one more "middlemen"?
> >
> > Because it's the value of a supply-chain.
> >
> > A middleman can be cumbersome, especially within a business.  But on
> > the outside, it empowers B2B (bussiness-to-business) opportunities.
>
> That's pretty vague. As it was explained to me at the door, by entering into
> a fixed price contract, you allow energy suppliers (the middlemen) to buy
> energy resources in bulk. By making an up front committment, you make it
> easier for them (and their suppliers) to manage their supply which helps them
> to negotiate a better price (on behalf of a large group of consumers).

But this doesn't explain why it is beneficial to get an extra
middlecritter in between you and OPG, who are probably the same people
that were providing the power both before and after the transaction.

It may be that this was initiated during the last Ontario Conservative
government, where they might have billed the merits as being that this
is all about "increasing competition."  Which is so much nonsense if
you don't actually get to deal with a multiplicity of actual
suppliers...  Having *actual* competition has some merit, but this is
merely a chimera of competition...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)