Linux, Internet Cafe, Haiti...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 17 22:45:02 UTC 2006

Taavi Burns wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> One question: would gigabit from the server to the switch and then
>> 100mbit to the terminals make things quicker than just plain 100mbit
>> everywhere?
>
> I'll second that with a qualified "yes".
>
> IF the switch is a real switch
> AND
> IF the port that the server is connected to also supports gigabit.
>
> I doubt that any off-the-shelf consumer switch (or switching hub) will
> have gigabit.

I think I've seen the type of switch you mean -- in fact, I saw one on
the Dell site a while back with 1 gigabit and 12 10/100 ports.
Admittedly as you say, it wasn't off the shelf.

> Also, make sure to use a quality cable for the gigabit link (cat6 or
> better), or it's likely that the card will switch back to 100mbps OR
> just flake out entirely.  We've had some issues with the ethernet
> cards at work being fickle about what speed they're running at, and
> that causes modem speeds over the supposedly fast gigabit links.
> Forcing the cards to do gigabit-only (disabling autodetect) makes them
> behave properly and consistently.  ethtool and mii-tool mii-diag and
> ethtool are your friends. :)

I was definitely thinking about purchasing cables here to ensure that I
get good quality. It sounds like things will still run adequately if I
have to use 100mbit to start -- it would just be nice to have gigabit
done beforehand and not have to figure out how to tell someone what to
buy through email in Kreyole.

Jamon