amaroK, xine, and alsa...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 17 22:41:04 UTC 2006

Dominic Bonfiglio wrote:
> Hello, I am having a problem using the xine-engine and alsa plugin with
> amaroK (suse 10.0 Distribution). I already posted this question to the
> forum on the amaroK Web site but have not yet received a response. So I
> am turning (once again) to the TLUG.
>
> Here is my problem:
snip
> When I use Xine to watch a movie or use Kaffeine to play music or video,
> everything works fine. I can set the plugin to alsa and set the output
> device to intel8x0 or usb-audio, depending on whether I am using
> headphones or speakers--so the audio drivers for alsa must be
> functioning just fine. But why won't they work with amaroK? I just adore
> this player, and want to give it full functionality. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is to try gstreamer. arts sounds like it is considered (or
is) depreciated, by both the community and amarok developers, and I
don't think that there is anything xine can do that gstreamer can't do
just as well. Myself I prefer gstreamer because it handles http
authorization to my personal music server -- something that I haven't
bothered fiddling with using the xine-engine -- not worth bothering if,
as I've said, gstreamer can do the same and then some.

Not sure if this helps answer your question (I'm not technically
proficient enough to really given any useful answer), and I don't intend
to bash xine -- just my thoughts and experience with amarok.

Jamon