amaroK, xine, and alsa...

Dominic Bonfiglio dominicbonfiglio-Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 17 19:57:43 UTC 2006

Hello, I am having a problem using the xine-engine and alsa plugin with
amaroK (suse 10.0 Distribution). I already posted this question to the
forum on the amaroK Web site but have not yet received a response. So I
am turning (once again) to the TLUG.

Here is my problem:

Every time I try to set the Xine Engine to alsa, amaroK reports that
"xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers," after which Amarok
promptly crashes. Set to autodetect, OSS, or aRts, the Xine Engine works
fine. I still need alsa, however, because, unlike OSS or aRts, it allows
me to configure the output device. I am using two sound cards--the
built-in card and USB speakers--and have configured a .soundrc file that
looks like this:

pcm.intel8x0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0"
}
ctl.intel8x0 {
type hw
card 0
}
pcm.usb-audio {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:1"
}
ctl.usb-audio {
type hw
card 1
}

When I use Xine to watch a movie or use Kaffeine to play music or video,
everything works fine. I can set the plugin to alsa and set the output
device to intel8x0 or usb-audio, depending on whether I am using
headphones or speakers--so the audio drivers for alsa must be
functioning just fine. But why won't they work with amaroK? I just adore
this player, and want to give it full functionality. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dominic