IBM laptop

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 19:54:02 UTC 2006

Marc Lijour wrote:

>Somebody suggested the T41. I went to the lenovo web site to do a search and a  couple of links have popped up. I tried one and I  went to the drivers &  downloads section. No mention of linux there :( So far, not so good for linux support.

While the debate on support *by* Thinkpad (Lenovo) rages elsewhere, I
can state that support *for* the T41 is extremely good at this point.

Using Mandriva 2006 on my T41, the installation recognized and works
fine with
- both touchpad and eraserhead pointers
- hot-plugging into the Thinkpad docking station (and unplugging)
- drivers for the onboard ATI video and LAN
- Sound and brightness buttons above the keyboard (with on-screen display)
- suspend
- hot-plugging and automounting for USB pendrives and memory card readers
- battery-status monitors
- both wireless and wired LAN adaptors
- The DVD-reader/CD-writer

I haven't tested infrared networking or the Linmodem driver (that I
downloaded but never installed). My system does not have the fingerprint
reader so I can't comment on that.

There's also an active linux-on-thinkpad mailing list:

- Evan