IBM laptop

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 16:37:34 UTC 2006

Marc Lijour wrote:

> Somebody suggested the T41. I went to the lenovo web site to do a search and a
> couple of links have popped up. I tried one and I  went to the drivers &
> downloads section. No mention of linux there :(

There are different versions of support.

1. we support it
2. we support it, we even tried it once.  If you have 6 months to wait
    we might be able to find a tech that can help.
3. we support it but we've never done it and I don't think we have
    anyone that could do it
4. we don't support it but we think it works
5. we know it doesn't work, we don't care, don't bug us

Unfortunately you may find some large companies claiming to massively
support Linux that advertise 1 but reality is 4.

The T41 really does work, the only caveat I would have is that possibly
newer models have different chipsets, I never trust vendors to keep
things the same.

I was about to suggest that if you really need Linux support that you
should check out the laptop vendors advertising in Linux Journal, I
recalled one called a Rhino ... searching for Rhino laptop in Google
brought me to this link:

   http://emperorlinux.com/mfgr/ibm/toucan/

Turns out they are actually just preinstalling and bundling support
around existing manufacturer's laptops.  The Toucan series is just the
Lenovo T42 and T43 with Linux installed ... they've done all the work to
ensure that wifi, power management, etc. all works out of the box.  They
also have Dell, Sony and Sharp models to choose.