IBM laptop

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 15:03:29 UTC 2006

On Sunday 15 January 2006 07:09, James Knott wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> > On 1/12/06, Marc Lijour <marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> I am after a good IBM laptop to do development (Java application server,
> >> Eclipse most of all) and of course to run my favorite Linux distro :-)
> >>
> >> What's the best one out there right now? I assume support for Linux
> >>
> >> Does somebody know of a good place/site where to buy it?
> >
> > Well, the modern problem iis that IBM no longer sells laptops.
> >
> > They sold the laptop division (possibly the whole "PC Division") to
> > Lenovo.
> >
> > That doesn't bode particularly well for Linux support; IBM had been
> > interested in this, but it now fades towards irrelevance.
>
> One thing to bear in mind, is that Lenovo is a Chinese company and China
> is encouraging the use of Linux.

Thank you all for collaborating to this thread. It has become really
interesting.
Somebody suggested the T41. I went to the lenovo web site to do a search and a
couple of links have popped up. I tried one and I  went to the drivers &
downloads section. No mention of linux there :(
So far, not so good for linux support.