they are so afraid

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 15 07:08:10 UTC 2006

The latest m$ security problem has prompted early patchers to be
*afraid* of a patch issued by a *third* party:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/13/security_wmf_microsoft/

Well, as early adopters of 'N' *N-th* party patches which we (linux and
OSS users) are, we could have a good laugh on that, no ? I think that
the opposition can really talk (and write) itself into a panic. Let's
help them a little with the fud (remember this message is archived on
the Internet):

Now, that they have prepared themselves so well to doubt the early
solution provider, here is a little fud poison: how about, someone who
read the above article, and finds a new hole, releases the new
attack/exploit into the wild, and has an asociate with a trojaned fix
waiting. When the new flaw will be discovered the early patchers will
accept the trojaned new binary patch, and they will have to run it to
find out if 'it does what the issuer says it does', since it comes
without source. Of course, the malicious issuer, will have built
suitable timers into his patch, knowing what will be looked for. Oh, and
the patch, which is a Windows update, will be installed with
Administrator privileges of course. There is no other way, you see. You
have to trust someone eventually, no ? MUAHAHAHAHA (that would be a
really sad situation, and it is waiting to happen any day now).

And the only real solution to this that I can see is, that the
non-malicious patch developer will have to sell the patch *source* to m$
or the powers that be, to be trusted. Either that, or publish it *open
source*.

Now take *this* for fud, closed source advocates.

OSS is superior by design,
Peter