Kubuntu, wireless, multiple APs

interlug-list interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 14:11:35 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I'm looking for a specific solution from somebody with KDE-foo.   Here
is what I have so far.  I keep a KDE desktop "Link to Device" for each
mountable device along the right side of my desktop.  Each of those
icons has a telltale to indicate whether the device is mounted or not;
when mounted, a green triangle appears at the corner of the icon.  This
telltale works when hotplug mounts the device, and when I mount /
unmount the device manually.  This is what it looks like:

http://www.cambridgelug.org/files/pictures/devices.png
Image shows four devices on one side of my desktop.  NFS and CF Card are
mounted, Floppy and Pen Drive are not.

I would like to have something similar for wireless networks.  I'd
prefer to have a different desktop icon for each network.  The green
triangle would indicate to which one I am connecting.  The existing
tools that I've seen are not quite what I am looking for.

WiFi Radar - Launch program, select AP from list, click (dis)connect.
KWiFiManager - Scans for networks but finds none.
KWirelessMonitor - Appears to support only one essid requiring re-typing

Any tips?

Cheers,