adding wireless to my home network

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 12 03:07:35 UTC 2006

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I'm going to be plugging a wireless router into my home network in a few
> days, but I'd appreciate any advice on how exactly to do it.  I have a
> server that I want to move to the basement, and I want to be able to use
> my laptop without borrowing signal from my unwitting neighbour.

Just how unwitting is your neighbour? I've got a few people in my
building/neighbourhood who password protect and change their ssid, but
who openly offer their internet to anyone who wants to use it. I don't
think that there are any laws (in Canada anyways) at the moment that
have been used to find someone with an open AP liable for the actions of
others who use the connection. That being said, your friendly EULA
issuer might not agree.

> Right now, all the wired computers, including the server, live behind a
> router/firewall.  I like this, and I like having the server behind a
> firewall too.  If I plug my wireless router into the wired
> router/firewall though, than any computer that gains wireless access can
> also see my wired machines, which I'd prefer to avoid.

If you restrict access to the wireless portion of your network using one
of your below-mentioned methods, there is no reason why such a setup
need worry you.

> Also, can I forward a port (22 for instance) from one router/firewall to
> the next router/firewall to a machine of my choice?
>
> I am not hugely worried about neighbours stealing my signal, but I want
> to protect the machines on my network from transient wireless threats.
> Are there suggestions as to which security methods I should use; WEP,
> WPA, MAC address recognition etc?  Finally, I bought my router so that it
> would be compatible with OpenWRT.  Is it worth it to reflash it at once,
> or should I wait until my warranty lapses before fooling with something
> that already does what I need?
>
> Thanks.

MAC filtering is OK, but your unencrypted traffic is just that --
unencrypted, transmitted in the clear unless encrypted by something
like... ssh etc. Someone with just a little knowledge of ifconfig could
easily spoof a MAC address or two and create some pretty nasty
man-in-the-middle attacks. Someone who can install kismet can read any
radio traffic within range of their card and its antenna (or additional
antenna for that matter).

Anyone with enough smarts (read little to none in this case) to spoof a
MAC address could crack WEP in a matter of 15 minutes or so, given just
a few (1 even!) packets and hardware that can replay and monitor packets
at the same time. Such cards are readily available for under $20 if you
check chipsets and the local stores.

Anyone who can crack WEP in a short amount of time could easily crack
WPA *if* your passphrase is too weak. Indeed, it is faster to crack a
weak WPA passphrase with a dictionary than to crack WEP by bruteforce
and replaying packets. Choose a good long (20 characters,
non-dictionary) passphrase and WPA provides good security.

As for reflashing, if the wireless router does everything you want it
to, what would voiding your warranty accomplish? Unless you can reflash
back to the original, in which case it would be a great thing to try,
I'd say it would be best to leave well enough alone unless you are
absolutely certain that the hardware revision and the firmware are a
match for each other.

My $0.02

Jamon