adding wireless to my home network

Wed Jan 11 23:03:36 UTC 2006

I'm going to be plugging a wireless router into my home network in a few
days, but I'd appreciate any advice on how exactly to do it.  I have a
server that I want to move to the basement, and I want to be able to use
my laptop without borrowing signal from my unwitting neighbour.

Right now, all the wired computers, including the server, live behind a
router/firewall.  I like this, and I like having the server behind a
firewall too.  If I plug my wireless router into the wired
router/firewall though, than any computer that gains wireless access can
also see my wired machines, which I'd prefer to avoid.

Also, can I forward a port (22 for instance) from one router/firewall to
the next router/firewall to a machine of my choice?

I am not hugely worried about neighbours stealing my signal, but I want
to protect the machines on my network from transient wireless threats.
Are there suggestions as to which security methods I should use; WEP,
WPA, MAC address recognition etc?  Finally, I bought my router so that it
would be compatible with OpenWRT.  Is it worth it to reflash it at once,
or should I wait until my warranty lapses before fooling with something
that already does what I need?

Thanks.
--

yours,