Xenophobia (was Re:jobs in Linux / IT)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 11 16:57:21 UTC 2006

<snip round-about arguments>

   Um, I know this is now labelled as off-topic and all but I still
think it's a pretty unfortunate thread for TLUG. It's starting to remind
me of a certain person who liked to stir up the list over the value of
new users... It kicks up emotions without providing any real benefit or
growth to the group.

   I am sorry that some people feel that Canada has given them an unfair
shake. However it happens to native Canadians, too. Try being a woman in
a traditionally male-dominated field or vice versa. Try being
disabled... The point is, people get screwed over all the time for
unjustifiable reasons. I certainly know that myself.

   What is important is how you view these challanges. If you take up a
victim mentality, you are doomed, period. On the other hand, if you let
rejection roll off you, you will be able to quickly move on to the next
opportunity. In looking for a job, who cares if a dozen companies pass
over you for some stupid reason?

   You only need one job and once you get it the rest are no issue.
Hell, if your skills are good then the company that hires you will have
an advantage over the companies that passed you over for superficial
reasons and likely are more likely to grow and prosper. Look at it like
a way of filtering out the cruft and finding the cream jobs.

   At any rate, Canada is a pretty damn good country to be a minority
in, *compared* to other countries. It certainly isn't perfect and anyone
who looks can find several examples of fault but don't tar the entire
county with the same brush. Someone who does has taken on the mentality
of those who've ignored them. Some people and companies kick ass, others
suck. It's life...

Madison

--
           Madison Kelly (Digimer)