Adding one or two mods to an existing /lib/modules

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 11 06:16:55 UTC 2006

Paul> I was just wondering if there is an easier way to do this... I was
Paul> wondering how it is possible for me to compile and install only a
Paul> few kernel modules and add them to already-existing modules under
Paul> /lib/modules for the same kernel version.

Paul> My situation is that under Fedora 3, it has decided for me in its
Paul> precompiled RPM that it will only offer me a fixed assortment of
Paul> modules, but lacking in some other modules I need (such as
Paul> ntfs.ko).

Paul> Let's say I have downloaded the source for the same kernel version
Paul> (which I have done), and did a "make modules". I then discover, of
Paul> course, that tons of modules compiled in addition to the ones I
Paul> wanted.

Paul> And, all I want to do is to add one or two modules of the same
Paul> version to the /lib/modules/<kernel-version> tree. But doing
Paul> insmod for this module will not load it, because there is no
Paul> dependency entry.

I don't do Red Hat, but:
Can't you just (re)run "make (menu|x)config" and then "make modules"
as you would with an unpackaged kernel?

BTW under Debian I have only been using unpackaged kernels for a long
time, it's easy - just download the source package and build it just
as if it came from kernel.org.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.