Adding one or two mods to an existing /lib/modules

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 11 05:21:11 UTC 2006

I was just wondering if there is an easier way to do this... I was
wondering how it is possible for me to compile and install only a few
kernel modules and add them to already-existing modules
under /lib/modules for the same kernel version.

My situation is that under Fedora 3, it has decided for me in its
precompiled RPM that it will only offer me a fixed assortment of
modules, but lacking in some other modules I need (such as ntfs.ko).

Let's say I have downloaded the source for the same kernel version
(which I have done), and did a "make modules". I then discover, of
course, that tons of modules compiled in addition to the ones I wanted.

And, all I want to do is to add one or two modules of the same version
to the /lib/modules/<kernel-version> tree. But doing insmod for this
module will not load it, because there is no dependency entry.

How is this problem overcome? I can't find anything in the kernel docs
about loading one or two extra modules to an existing tree and updating
the dependencies. And of course there are other things I probably
haven't thought of.

Paul King