CIDR - networking

Joseph josephm153-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 13:00:51 UTC 2006

The class should never be determined by the mask but by the range in which
the ip address falls.
The standard masks are class a 255.0.0.0 class b 255.255.0.0 and class c
255.255.255.0 these are also known as classful.
A classless mask such as 255.255.192.0 can be used with an ip that is in the
class a or b but not with class c.
Classless is useful when subnetting host bit into subnets.

For class a ip with a mask of 255.255.192.0
The first 8 bits 255 are the network bits
The next 10 bits 255.192 is the subnet bits
And the 14 last bits would be the host bits.

For class b ip with a mask of 255.255.192.0
The first 16 bits 255.255 are the network bits
The next 2 bits 192 is the subnet bits
And the 14 would be the host bits.

Class c can't use 255.255.192.0 because class c has to have at least a
standard mask of 255.255.255.0
You could use a classless mask of 255.255.255.192 to subnet the last octet.

If not done properly there could be overlapping.

That's my 2 cents or bits
Joseph