CIDR - networking

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 10 06:24:09 UTC 2006

Kihara>   That sentence has homed at the problem. Its that I can't tell
Kihara> how a class address look like. My understanding was that, if you
Kihara> see a netmask like 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.0.0 on what they were
Kihara> calling A and B respectively, then that is class system. That is
Kihara> how my box is currently set up. ie 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 I
Kihara> thought CIRD carry a mask like 255.128.0.0? ie no clean 255 to 0
Kihara> transition. How would I identify a non-CIDR if I see one? I am
Kihara> very sorry for my ignorance by the way

Kihara> William

Kihara or William?

The difference is that in the pre-CIDR world the actual address itself
determined what the class was.  That is, there existed numbers a1 and a2
such that networks with addresses between a1.0.0.0 and a2.0.0.0 were
class A, and similarly b1, b2 for class B; everything else was class C.

The fact that I can't remember what those numbers were also shows how
long it has been.

I remember that Solaris startup scripts assumed class addresses by
default until quite recently (Solaris 8 still did, I'm quite sure).

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.