Video (.mpg/.avi) to iPod (.mp4) converter

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 05:10:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:57:54PM -0500, Peter King wrote:
> > Does anyone know Linux software which can convert a normal video (.mpg,
> > .avi) to above "iPod" format?
>
> There seem to be three possibilities: MEncoder (part of the MPlayer
> set), ffmpeg, and transcode.

Bookmarked.  Thanks.  Much reading to do.

I did find
    http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
which is a free Windows program for converting between Video/Audio
alphabet soup.  It works.  I converted .mpg to .mp4 (H.264), and it
played very well on iPod.  25fps was a little jerky, but 30fps was very
smooth.

But, my Windows 2003 box is P2/400MHz, and it's painfully SLOW.  I'm
hoping to do the conversion on much faster Linux box, and just copy it
over to Windows box.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell