Video (.mpg/.avi) to iPod (.mp4) converter

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 9 01:57:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:04:29PM -0500, William Park wrote:

> I got 30GB iPod for Christmas.  I would like to try out its video
> capability.  iPod plays the following formats:
>
>     * H.264
>       File formats:	.m4v, .mp4, and .mov
>       Video:	Up to 768 kbits/sec, 320 x 240, 30 frames per
> 		second (fps), Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3.
>       Audio:	AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, and stereo audio.
>
>     * MPEG-4
>       File formats:	.m4v, .mp4, and .mov
>       Video:	Up to 2.5 Mbits/sec, 480 x 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile.
>       Audio:	AAC-LC up to 160 kbits/sec, 48 Khz, stereo audio.
>
> Does anyone know Linux software which can convert a normal video (.mpg,
> .avi) to above "iPod" format?

There seem to be three possibilities: MEncoder (part of the MPlayer
set), ffmpeg, and transcode. My daughter got the same 30GB iPod for
the holidays; ever since I've been hitting my head against the wall
to try to get one of these to work. Some of it may be Debian.

There is a certain amount of talk about how to use ffmpeg to transcode
video files to mp4. So far, I've converted .mpg files, but no luck with
.vob files. For Debian, add the ftp.nerim.net site so that you get the
relevant codecs (aac and so on).

Mencoder does encode .vob files, but gives a "duplicate frame" message
every third or fourth frame. I can play the resulting .mp4 file, but
my daughter says it won't play on the iPod.

Transcode simply crashes, segfaulting on everything I try.

I'd post the command-line switches but so far nothing works reliably. If
you find a way to do it, please post here or just let me know.

Oh yes -- most annoying: If you have OS X handy, then install the free
program ffmpegX, which is a front-end to the above tools. It seems to
do the job more or less effortlessly, at least on .avi files and .mpg
files. Why is this so hard in Linux? Darwin isn't half the *NIX.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42