DVDs are simple? Re:var is mysteriously clogged

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 21:40:21 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>>If there's such a beast that also has the simple UI you described, I'd
>>love to see it. Where in Toronto can such things be purchased? You
>>certainly won't find them at Sears or FutureShop. The only ones I've
>>seen were in Asia.
>>

>Well I got mine for $200 a couple of years ago at pacific mall.

Why doesn't that surprise me? ;-) I've found a lot of interesting things
there.

>It has a european plug on it for power, but they included an adapter (it runs
>on 90-240V so that isn't a problem).

The cheapie region-free player that I brought back a few years ago was
the same way; it was a European plug but variable voltage.

>I think the player I saw advertised was the RJ-700DVX, at least a search
>for that gives the right features and the right price range.  I can't
>remember the name of the store that advertised it.  Seems rjtech makes a
>number of these players.

There will probably be a lot of "no-name" brands.

>Being region free, and usually not
>telling you what you can't do, the hongkong import players are rather
>nice though.

I agree. Interestingly, the player I got was branded "Hong Kong
Electronics", but made and purchased in Malaysia. :-)

Does anyone know whether there exists a region-free PC DVD drive? Most
set a region in firmware, which you can only change a few times before
it's permanent. While open source players ignore the region mismatch,
Windows players don't; it would be nice to know if there are region-free
PC drives just like there's are region-free standalone players.

- Evan