DVDs are simple? Re:var is mysteriously clogged

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 16:18:40 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:34:07AM -0500, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> If there's such a beast that also has the simple UI you described, I'd
> love to see it. Where in Toronto can such things be purchased? You
> certainly won't find them at Sears or FutureShop. The only ones I've
> seen were in Asia.

Well I got mine for $200 a couple of years ago at pacific mall.  It has
a european plug on it for power, but they included an adapter (it runs
on 90-240V so that isn't a problem).  It has all the outputs I could
want, including VGA with progresive scan.

I saw a similar one advertised in the local newspaper (markham) for $60
about 2 weeks ago.  Just a small add in the paper.  Given the large
population of people in markham that are from other parts of the world,
region free players are very popular around here.

I think the player I saw advertised was the RJ-700DVX, at least a search
for that gives the right features and the right price range.  I can't
remember the name of the store that advertised it.  Seems rjtech makes a
number of these players.

I consider the divx support a nifty bonus, but it is NOT generally
something worth buying the player for.  On mine, fast forward and rewind
is VERY unstable on dvix/xvid files, and from what I read, that seems to
be very common on all the players that support divx playback.  They just
don't seem to have quite the same reliability in their hardware as a
full PC software player has.  So for the ultimate play anything you
throw at it, a PC is hard to beat.  Being region free, and usually not
telling you what you can't do, the hongkong import players are rather
nice though.

Len Sorensen