LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 8 17:47:03 UTC 2006

--- Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 1/8/06, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > The ATI Remote Wonder (which identifies itself as
> an X10 RF USB remote)
> > works out the box, and can be had from College St
> stores for ~$30. It
> > works with LIRC, and is recognised as a USB
> keyboard/mouse.
>
> Nice tip.  I poked around for some info, for the
> Google-impaired lurkers:
>
> Site:
> http://www.ati.com/products/remotewonder/
> Linux Drivers:

> Instructions:
> http://remotew.free.fr/linux_en.htm
>

> > Sy and I could be missing Colin's point, tho';
> maybe he *wants* to do
> > the homebrew thing ...
>
> This is true.  I think we did the equivalent of
> answering a tech
> problem with "just use Slackware".  Whoops.  =)

Well, I have on hand an el-cheapo TV tuner card that
came with a IR detector on a short cord, an (old)
Creative CD-ROM with an IR detector (supported under
LIRC), a laptop with an IR detector, and a home made
serial IR dongle. So, I am good when it comes to the
infrared detectors.

The issue comes up when writing, when one wants to
tell people here are your options, and yes I want to
say, ok if you want to roll your own detector this is
a way to do it...

Also to be frank, I sort of hoped there was a bigger
bunch than we seem to have here who know the smell of
flux (a cleaner used to help ensure solder bonds to
electronic parts), and are interested in what strikes
me as a small, cute hack.

> Colin, I'm using a Model MK19A X-10.. if you want to
> borrow it before
> deciding to pick one up that's cool with me.  It's a
> serial dongle, as
> opposed to ATI's usb dongle.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Colin.