OT: non-commercial open source license?

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 17:45:24 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> >On 1/4/06, Aaron Vegh <aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I've asked about him open-sourcing the tool, but his concern is that someone would post their own version and charge for it. So the question became: is there an open source licence that would restrict use to personal only, and not commercial?
> >>

> >It's not "free software" if it is restricted that way.
> >

> Christopher is absolutely correct. By both the GNU definition of free
> software and the OSI definition of open source, you may not restrict the
> "type" of use (ie, non-commercial, education only, etc.).
>
> >Linux would have been no more than a historical curiosity if Linus had
> >restricted its use to "personal only, no commercial."
> >

> This is indeed the fate of Minix, the pet project of an operating
> systems professor where Linus went to school.
>
> It wasn't until April 2000 that Minix (whose history dates back to the
> 60s) removed the "educational use only" restriction, but by that time
> Linux was well established. Arguably had Andrew Tannenbaum not had that
> restriction, and allowed Linus to build on the what existed rather than
> re-invent a Unix-like OS under the GPL, things might be quite different
> today.
That probably would not have worked well. If Linus started from an
established OS, there was no way he could have achieved the power he
currently holds. There would be different folks (See BSD), and though
GPL allow for later merging, that is very wasteful.
 Better the way it happened. A bit of re-inventing initially, but only
one tree from then on.

William