OT: non-commercial open source license?

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 4 17:52:54 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:
> >> I've asked about him open-sourcing the tool, but his concern is that
> >> someone would post their own version and charge for it. So the question
> >> became: is there an open source licence that would restrict use to
> >> personal only, and not commercial?
> >
> >It's not "free software" if it is restricted that way.
>
> Christopher is absolutely correct. By both the GNU definition of free
> software and the OSI definition of open source, you may not restrict the
> "type" of use (ie, non-commercial, education only, etc.).

Does he mean 'make modifications and not share it' or just start selling it?
If the former, the GPL is good enough except for situations like hosting
solutions where you are selling the service more than the 'product'.  The
upcoming revision to the GPL is going to fix those situations too (don't know
what the new bugs will be, though :).

> - Prevent others from distributing proprietary modifications (ie, the GPL)
> - Reserve for yourself the right to make proprietary modifications (ie, MPL)

You can also do things like what DJB does. You can modify and redistribute
but you can't call it <original name>.

Also, any copyright owner on anything 'open source' has the right to make
proprietary mods as well as 'selling' the software with different licenses.

> While being open source does not prohibit others from reselling the software,
> using the GPL prevents anyone from selling a closed enhancement. And it's
> hard to charge a lot of money for something when your neighbour can freely
> download and copy the SAME thing.

It sounds like the guy has some decisions to make.  If he doesn't want
commercial exploitation, for example, because he plans on doing it himself,
it behooves him to get that ball rolling.

Regards,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20