ADSL issues was ot-no free lunch and UI issues

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 19:21:57 UTC 2006

paul sutton wrote:
> I think the ADSL connection problem is something to do with the tool
> that helps me set it up,  when I run the tool from the kde menu it
> promts for the root password,  then jumps to a console window, where it
> tries to run something, can't and closes the window (very quickly),  I
> think whatever tool it tries and runs, is one that needs special
> permission to be started from a konsole window to run in X,
>
> Is there a ADSL tool i can run from a normal commadn line that does the
> same thing,  I'ts under internet / connection on the KDE menu,  there
> must be a console set up tool somewhere.
>
> I am using Kanotix 2005-4 - lite,  having done an apt-get dist upgrade
> etc  earlier, (I was using a RC before),  so I am now running the full
> lite version,  or is there a way to run dhclient automaticaly upon
> startup so it finds the hub / router / internet connection. I was hoping
> doing this would fix it,

Paul

I'm not sure what you want but if what you want to do is connect using
pppoe, try rp-pppoe.
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

But first, check if Kanotix is already using it.
In the past, there were problems with some implementations of rp-pppoe
by vendors. I haven't heard of problems with rp-pppoe for a long, long
time. It's usually included in the distro and just works :-)

Regards

Meng