Fixing application networking issues

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 18:03:34 UTC 2006

Hello,

to narrow down the source of the problem (firefox
application or OS/networking) try another HTTP
application like "wget" from the command line ($ wget
www.google.com). If wget works (you're able to
retrieve a page) then it's a problem with Firefox, if
it doesn't then it's a network or network
configuration problem.

Fernando

--- Kihara Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have encountered an issue where firefox does not
> go out and
> download a page after typing the url address. I
> usually do a couple of
> things:
> *Use ifconfig and see if I can see the network card.
> *Ping loop back and a reliable server out there
> (bbc)
>  Most time, this show things are alright (On the
> operating sys level)
>  Now, the only thing I do on the browser is type in
> IP address. If
> that don't work, I boot (Not a good idea in *nux
> world, but..)
>  The question is, how can one go about find a
> problem between an
> application (firefox) and OS? Any trick is
> appreaciated.
>
> Thank you
> William
> --
> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://tlug.ss.org
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com