Some grub questions

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 02:13:36 UTC 2006

Kihara Muriithi wrote:

>  I have been googling about for update-grub scripts. The articles out
> there mention it when discussing other topics, but I haven't come
> across an article with the script as the primary subject. Anyone know
> of such an article for a curious person?

update-grub discovers which kernels are available on your system and
updates grub config file (menu.lst) so that they are selectable from
your grub menu on boot.  update-grub might be Debian specific, not sure.

update-grub should get called automatically whenever a packaged kernel
is installed or removed.  On Debian derived systems /etc/kernel-img.conf
controls this, here are the contents of my Ubuntu kernel-img.conf:

   do_symlinks = yes
   relative_links = yes
   do_bootloader = no
   do_bootfloppy = no
   do_initrd = yes
   link_in_boot = yes
   postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
   postrm_hook   = /sbin/update-grub

The above may not be Ubuntu default, I may have changed it myself, don't
recall.  On Debian I always had to edit /etc/kernel-img.conf myself
(almost identically to above).

You're not likely to find documentation on update-grub.  The best you'll
get is the manpage (man update-grub).  Since update-grub is a script if
you really want to understand it, read through it ... *everything* it
does is wide open for your enjoyment.