ot-no free lunch and UI issues

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 3 03:21:21 UTC 2006

> teddy mills wrote:
>
> >There is the idea of No Free Lunch.
> >
> >That basically means as I understand it, anything that is free, or you
> >dont have to work for it, has no or very little value to you.

This is a very interesting idea, and while I respect it.. it doesn't
apply to me.  Some people will perceive the invested effort as being
negative if they believe that it could have been avoided through
better design, documentation, etc..

Software having demonstrated the varying levels of quality it has,
there have indeed been some stellar user experiences when it comes to
certain applications or what have you.  If a user has experienced such
things, it is very likely that they will place all other software on
the same level.

Even if this elevation of expectation is separated a bit.. so that a
windows user understands that the game is somehow different for linux
software (professional vs hobbyiest software) as soon as they start to
taste the quality in a new niche of software they're exploring those
expectations spread to more applications.

Take me for example, because I was brought up on DOS, I have
expectations of that level of quality (and user experience, but let's
not go down that road).. and because I have that background I can't
understand why basic command-line help doesn't exist for applications.
 Man pages do not compare to what most programs in dos offer with /?
(i.e. an explanation of what the program does, and examples).

So, while I could suspend my disbelief and just letting man pages be
what they are.. it's very very hard.

.. that is one angle.

Yes, for some (and including myself in some cases) investing effort
breeds a sense of self-worth and will elevate the perceived value in
the experience..  "aah, I configured it all the way I want.. this is
great".  However, I will restate that if that effort is perceived as
having been something which could have been avoidable with the aid of
better design and development then that investment in effort will
backfire.  This is most easily seen when people have limited ability,
interest or time to explore.

I used to feel good about getting dosemu to work, now I expect that
and even wine to work out of the box.

I used to feel good about getting blackbox customized and working, now
I expect it to be one of many options on a livecd.

.. I think I've been spoiled.  =)