Dual booting RH and Ubantu issues + RHCT questions

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 1 21:29:25 UTC 2006

On 12/28/05, Kihara Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This year, I understand one need to learn XFEE 86. I understand they
> will be changing that to Xorg sometime next year. Since X server is a
> substantial part in RH exams, does anyone know when they will seize
> using Xfee 86 on their exams?

The current Red Hat Certified Technician (RHCT) and Red Hat Certified
Engineer (RHCE) exams are based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, which uses
Xorg.  So learn Xorg, not XFree86.

I am unfortunate not to have worked on a productive network and
> therefore have little of SCSI experience. (I have read a lot about it
> though). What is the chance of someone passing RH exams without
> touching a scsi drive? And would anyone know a company/organization
> that are Linux intensive and can accomodate someone for two months
> free or for a fee? I am nervous I may end up loosing 2,300 dollars if
> I don't have enough practice on a productive system. I live in North
> York, but willing to travel as far as Mississauga if needs be.

SCSI and IDE drives are treated no differently in Linux, other than SCSi
drives have the prefix  "sd" and IDE uses "hd".

As far as the exams go, a good reference is the Red Hat Training website.
They have a list of topics that are covered on the exam.

As far as studying for the exam, when I took my RHCE (long long ago), what I
did is set up a test machine at home and practiced on it.  I took the RH300
class (RHCE Prep Course) and every night, I'd do the lab exercises we did in
class over and over until I understood them and knew them inside out.

I'd also recommend (if you can) to take the RH133 course (Sys Admin + RHCT
exam), or if you're doing the RHCE, the RH300.  It gives you 4 days of
classes (read PRACTICE) with the exam on the last day.  Also, you can use
the course lab exercises as a good study guide.  Red Hat bases their tests
on what's taught in those two courses.

pm

--
Paul Mora