MP3 Players

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 28 19:37:04 UTC 2006

With regards to the iPod, it appears as a regular firewire or usb external
drive (newer iPod models don't have firewire, they're usb 2.0 only). You can
copy files to the iPod just like any other external media, however, you
can't just play them on the iPod. When you copy music to an iPod from
iTunes, it updates an xml file on the iPod, which is where the play count
and star ratings and stuff are also stored for each track, and how iTunes
syncs this information up between your main library and your iPod.
I believe Rhythmbox can read and write this xml file. At least it could when
I was doing this research a little under two years ago. I ended up
purchasing a powerbook g4 as well as a ipod, so the whole issue became moot
for me :)
But either way, iPod's should be supported well enough under linux.