Powerpoint Bloat

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 28 15:09:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:12:22AM -0500, Howard Gibson wrote:
>    Has anyone tried importing bitmap graphics into Microsoft Word or Powerpoint lately?
>
>    When I did this in the past, the graphics were converted to BMP format.  Microsoft does not like JPEG or GIF, and I bet they hate PNG.  This would affect your file size.

A few years ago I was messing around with some powerpoint files and I
found to my surprise that all the images it contained were in fact PNG.
I managed to search for the PNG header magic and extract all the images
from the presentation that way.  If they used JPEG the quality would
support, but the size would shrink.  BMP is just too bloated and doesn't
support transparency.

Len Sorensen