Compiling help needed

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 25 17:50:49 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 15:25, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> apt-get install libxext-dev

Since I had all libxext installed I had a suspicioin that the error message
wasn't telling the truth.  Another user gave me a list of libraries required
to compile KDE programs.  By the time I installed them and all their
dependencies I had added some 91 libs.

Now the compile runs the course, and make did its job.   Thanks for the help
and information you all provided.  Once again an error message didn't tell
the whole truth.

> A good guess for missing library is:
>
> take lib name (like libXext) make it lowercase, and stick -dev at the
> end.  99% of the time it is right.
>
> Otherwise try: apt-cache search libxext and see which packages it lists
> with -dev in the name.  To compile code you need the headers, while to
> run programs you only need the library, so the library is in the libname
> package usually and the headers are in the libname-dev in general.
> Sometimes the library itself has an abi version attached to the name (if
> it is C++) so it could be libnamec2 or libnamec2a or libnamec102 or
> something like that.
>
> Len Sorensen

Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can