Compiling help needed

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 21 15:25:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:45:52AM +0000, Merv Curley wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 17:32, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>

> > Perhaps the package x-dev is what you need.
> >
> Lennart to the rescue again.  Thanks and that got me a bit further, now it
> stops with an error message "need a working libXext ...  not found"
>
> So I went looking and libXext has been installed and I find
> libXext.so.6.4  and links to
>     "       .so.6
>     "       .so
> Also there is libXext.a
>
> Do I give up?  No, not while we have the Debian master here.

apt-get install libxext-dev

A good guess for missing library is:

take lib name (like libXext) make it lowercase, and stick -dev at the
end.  99% of the time it is right.

Otherwise try: apt-cache search libxext and see which packages it lists
with -dev in the name.  To compile code you need the headers, while to
run programs you only need the library, so the library is in the libname
package usually and the headers are in the libname-dev in general.
Sometimes the library itself has an abi version attached to the name (if
it is C++) so it could be libnamec2 or libnamec2a or libnamec102 or
something like that.

Len Sorensen