twiki or ???

J. Qiang Li shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 21 05:48:43 UTC 2006

--- Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:

<snip>

> The wiki is primarily for documentation around support/deployment
> procedures, howtos, etc.  I started with mediawiki and I'm starting to
> see some faults.  The big flat wiki model leaves a lot to be desired as
> does the rather shallow access control capabilities.  I have deployed
> additional wiki instances for other groups to avoid too much tripping
> over each other.   I like the idea of some access control and heirarchy.
> twiki sounds promising.
>
> I'm planning to give twiki a go, if anyone knows of something that might
> be better I'm all ears.
>
> Thanks
> --

We just started using twiki (the new release 4.0) and what i like the most is the permission
control (that's why i didn't pick mediawiki). we have couple of groups and each one of them can
set up their own WEB and control read/write access from other groups. the link you created in each
WEB will be limited to your WEB by default, you can link to other page from another WEB by using
WebName.PageName though. so that should fix the problem you mentioned in another email.

the only minor grip I have for twiki is that the wyswyg editor is not yet usable and i get bit of
resistance from people to have to learn another wiki syntax. other than that, twiki is great and
the front page's success stories indicate it as well. Personally I know Yahoo using TWiki as I
have a friend working there and part of his job is to taking care of TWiki.

James.