New computer, easier with Linux

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 02:43:50 UTC 2006

On 2/18/06, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sy Ali wrote:
> > I just bought my first computer.  In the past, I've always upgraded
> > part by part.  This time I went out and got a bunch of new parts all
> > at once.
>
> I'd like to try that sometime. Specs?

*  AMD Sempron 3300+ 64Bit 2.0GHz Socket 754 128KB L2 Cache 1600MHz HT [1]
** Whoops, I got the wrong one. I should have gotten the 3400+ because
it has a 256kB L2 Cache. Dammit. =(

* Asus K8N Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 Pro 250 w/ DDR400, LAN, SATA
RAID, 8-Ch Audio [2]

* 2x Crucial Memory 512 MB DIMM 184-pin DDR 400 MHz / PC3200 CL3 2.5 V
unbuffered [3]

* Antec Lifestyle Overture II Piano Black 450W [4]

I used my existing hard and optical drives.  The case comes with a
very very good power supply.  The lot cost me under $540 including
tax.  I paid by credit card, otherwise it's 2% off for cash.

> > Slap in a Linux liveboot cd.. everything is detected automatically.
<snip>

> PCLinuxOS? Might have to give it a try sometime, you say consistently
> good things about it, and I've read and heard other good reviews as well.

Yeppers.  I'm very very happy with it.  It's been a few revisions
since I tried it, and it just keeps getting better..

[1] http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007661&cid=CPU.183
[2] http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=005537&cid=MB.259
[3] http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007785&cid=RAM.178
[4] http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=007065&cid=CS.897