New computer, easier with Linux

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 02:22:25 UTC 2006

Sy Ali wrote:
> I just bought my first computer.  In the past, I've always upgraded
> part by part.  This time I went out and got a bunch of new parts all
> at once.

I'd like to try that sometime. Specs?

> Now.. all these computer bits are way better designed.  The case I
> bought didn't cut me once, had all the right connections in all the
> right places.. all the pieces fit together snugly..  the processor
> wasn't hell to get in place (Does anyone else remember using a fork to
> get a 386/486 processor unseated?)  Even the heatsink was a trivial
> thing to get in place.  These new fangled heatsinks and fans used to
> be so horrible to get installed..

I was happy when manufacturers started putting tabs on all 3 sides of
the HSF clip -- I can remember gouging a motherboard with a screwdriver
once before they implemented that handy feature (board still works though!).

> Slap in a Linux liveboot cd.. everything is detected automatically.
> No more manually reinstalling drivers for me, thanks.  I decided to
> reinstall my setup (because I suspected some issues and didn't want to
> bother playing)  10 minutes later it's installed.  2 minutes of
> tweaking to get a couple of apps installed from source, a couple
> minutes more to get some other packages installed.  And that's it.  My
> old user data is all nice and snug in place.. no more reconfiguring
> things.

PCLinuxOS? Might have to give it a try sometime, you say consistently
good things about it, and I've read and heard other good reviews as well.

Jamon