postfix help and off the blacklist

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 18 16:08:54 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   A quick update first:

   The hacked/compromised server isn't getting spam out anymore (I told
sendmail to block outgoing mail from 'apache', which is only a
stop-gap). So now I am working on getting the mail and websites over to
the new server.

   Also, as Alex suggested, I've disabled root login over SSH on the new
server. As Vlad suggested I'll be installing some form of IDS on the new
server (FAM I've seen but I'll compare it to Tripwire before I choose
one). I'm still worried that it's a script somewhere so I'm going to
move the websites one at a time and see if the spam trying to be sent
stops when one is moved. If so it will narrow down what I have to look for.

   Today's question is about Postfix:

   I've finally made the switch from Sendmail after many people here
suggested I do so. Of course now I am having trouble getting virtual
hosting working. I'm confused about what I should be using as the
'myhostname' and such.

   I admit my problems are largely due to me being rather tired and
frustrated about this whole mess. I've read the Postfix docs on virtual
hosting but keep messing it up. As of now, mail is relaying through the
server so postfix is working.

   Any help, even just a pointer to a more concise how-to for someone
trying to virtual host multiple domains pointed at system users would be
great. The postfix docs keep talking about using LDAP, SQL and such
which just keeps throwing me for a loop.

   Thanks!!

Madison

--
           Madison Kelly (Digimer)