skyping in and from canada

Dominic Bonfiglio dominicbonfiglio-Mmb7MZpHnFY at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 17 22:30:50 UTC 2006

Hello,

This is not a Linux-related question, but it seems likely that the
computer savvy of the open-source community will have an answer--or at
least have some experience to share.

A year ago, when I still lived in Germany, I frequently skyped with
friends there and in the US. The connections were fantastic, much better
(and of course infinitely cheaper) than any offered by traditional
long-distance providers. Since settling in Toronto, however, my Skype
connections to the US and Germany have been abysmal. There are echos,
pulsating interruptions, and static. I have tried to skype using Rogers
as well as UofT's network, and have almost always had the same poor
results. Inexplicably, on two occasions using Rogers the line remained
crystal clear for the length of the call.

Has anyone else had such problems when skyping abroad? Is skyping within
Canada any different? Is the Canadian server network any different from
those in other countries? Does Canada have a some beef with the Skype
people?

Thanks,
Dominic