Metal Tux case badges

interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 16 23:35:10 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 16:30, Colin McGregor wrote:

> Now if I understood Bill Thanis correctly if we were
> doing a large enough volume we could make the badges
> out of stamped aluminium for under $0.01 per badge.
> The problem with stamped aluminium I gather is the
> set-up charges will likely be a killer.

I've had injection molded plastic parts made for a few cents each.  Again you
are still paying off $1k to $2k for the simplest tooling.  Then time and
materials to actually run the parts.

> Pewter on the other hand, likely higher material
> charge per badge, but lower set-up cost... Not sure
> how this can be made to work, but do need that initial
> master in a form that can be used to make copies
> from...

Have you checked with some jewelery forums?  Sounds like you are right out of
the range of "manufacturers" and in to "artisans."  Home jewelers would have
a better grip on the material cost, the best material for your mold, and for
how many uses you'll get from the mold before you have to replace it.

> Well, let us assume for now that we are talking
> PAINFULLY tight, say $50.

You still talking about 1,000 pieces?  For $50 bucks?  I haven't done any
metal casting so consider the source but this sounds unreasonable.  You could
easily spend $50 for drill bits, clamps, bolts, dowels, pressboard and the
other bits and pieces required to make one of the molds shown in the casting
class link you posted earlier.

If you have a fully stocked wood shop then perhaps you don't need to buy any
of that stuff.  In this case I think you could make a badge for $50.  Let's
say $15 for materials, another $5 for a crucible, some polishing compound,
J-cloths, silver solder, sandpaper.  You could pour three or four and might
get one or two that are good enough to polish.  Sounds like a fun afternoon
of learning home casting but I just don't see $0.20/piece.  Even if your time
is free.

> $1K would be a number that the board would laugh at.

Yup.  That's probably still too low to set up a custom jewelry foundry.

Would it reduce the value of these jewelry case badges if you give them away
to every visitor at the booth?  Why not hire a jeweler for $1,000 for one
case badge made of precious metal?  Then raffle it?  That is one case badge
that will get a lot of attention and appear to have a lot of value.  I don't
know, maybe jewelers will work cheaper than that.