Metal Tux case badges... or looking for a pantograph

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 16 21:30:30 UTC 2006

--- Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
> > So, in an ideal world (which we don't live in) I
> would
> > love to say have 2,000 metal case badges that we
> could
> > have as swag items, all done inside a TIGHT
> budget.
>
> How tight ? Normal badges can be made for about 50
> cents each, using a
> press and pre-ordered materials. That means that you
> are talking $1k, no
> ? Check out some badge prices (raw materials), then
> try to figure out
> what you will do that is non-standard and then how
> much that will *add*
> to the plain badge price.

Well, let us assume for now that we are talking
PAINFULLY tight, say $50. $1K would be a number that
the board would laugh at. So, we don't go down the
"normal" route, instead we do something better (after
all if we were "normal" we would all be using an OS
from that convicted software pirate and convicted
monopolist firm in Washington state :-) ).

The idea here is to NOT have the conventional paper
badges with the plastic dome cover, we (well I) want
something distinctly different, something along the
lines of what the now seemingly defunct "Silicon
Breeze" firm did. You can see some of the stuff
"Silicon Breeze" did via the Way Back machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031215182634/www.linuxjewellery.com/

In other words the plastic domes at $0.50 each are not
of interest here...

Now if I understood Bill Thanis correctly if we were
doing a large enough volume we could make the badges
out of stamped aluminium for under $0.01 per badge.
The problem with stamped aluminium I gather is the
set-up charges will likely be a killer.

Pewter on the other hand, likely higher material
charge per badge, but lower set-up cost... Not sure
how this can be made to work, but do need that initial
master in a form that can be used to make copies
from...

Colin McGregor