Metal Tux case badges... or looking for a pantograph

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 15 19:11:37 UTC 2006

Ok, the whole doing metal Tux case badges for the
Linux World show is a pet obsession for me... The
problem that I have is creating a "master" badge from
which copies can be made. To that end I asked about
CNC machines for directly cutting a master out of say
aluminium, an approach that so far has not come up
with workable solutions.

So, time to either drop the idea or look another
approach...

My current thought is to go low tech and ask if I
could beg, or borrow a pantograph or it's mechanically
more complex cousin an eidograph. The full description
of a pantograph can be seen here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph

My idea being to take a large image of Tux, use a
pantograph to trace/reduce the image down to say 21 mm
and instead of a pen on the copying arm use say a pin
that can cut into something soft like say a block of
wax or some modelling clay...

Thoughts? Spare pantographs?

Colin McGregor