Audio devices

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 14 14:15:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 07:52:40PM -0000, phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Of course, you're right, but the "sigh" was more about the existence of
> usability barriers rather than assigning responsibility.

Unfortunately there seems to be a trent with the "profesional" audio
people to never release any programming specs for anything.  Most of the
drivers are done by reverse engineering or trial and error.  That is if
someone has the hardware (few programmers tend to also be high end audio
nuts), and wants it working badly enough.

> Regarding your other comment: alsamixer reports no mixer interface, which is
> reasonable, since I think the box is entirely hardware controled for those
> functions.  On the other hand, 'aplay -l' doesn't list the device at all.
> This leads me to think that the problem may be that the OS knows about it, but
> ALSA needs more information...not sure what or where, but it's a possible path.

What does /proc/asound/cards list?

Does lsmod show snd-usbx2y loaded (or whatever the driver name was)?

What kind of USB controller do you have?

Len Sorensen