hardware sanity check

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 11 18:31:51 UTC 2006

> Two things strike me as odd: after 30 minutes of running time, it
> immediately died when next turned on (well, OK, maybe that's not so
> odd); but, is there really supposed to be enough *juice* running to a
> little internal speaker that could fry a foot or so of insulation
> that
> dramatically?

More often than not a faulty component will fail almost immediately
rather than well into its service life. Its one of the reasons that its
important to 'burn' in a system before its put into service.

There should not be enough power running to the internal speaker that
would cause an arc in the event of failure. If it did actually happen in
your case (rather than them using this as an excuse to cover up a more
serious issue), a more likely scenario would be a mis-assembled /
inferior quality power supply. Having some unwanted experience with
major power supply failures, I suggest that you request your money back
and shop elsewhere, or that they replace the computer outright rather
than just giving you a new case.

HTH

John