hardware sanity check

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 11 18:43:56 UTC 2006

> Having some unwanted experience with
> major power supply failures, I suggest that you request your money back
> and shop elsewhere, or that they replace the computer outright rather
> than just giving you a new case.

I second this advice. If the power supply failed, it may have damaged the
mobo and heaven-only-knows what else. I'd ask for (ie, insist on) a
completely new computer. If there has been a dead short across the power
supply, it's been very stressed. It may still be OK, but it may be damaged
in a way that will shorten its life.

As well, high quality power supply is a good investment. They generally
have to be purchased separately, the ones that come as part of a case are
a crap shoot - as in it may be OK, it may be, well, crap.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Professor Emeritus,