[OT]Hardware Sanity Check

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 11 16:48:35 UTC 2006

I know only enough about hardware that swapping boards and drives
doesn't scare me...much.  So, I'd like to run a scenario past the group
for comment.

I bought a new computer yesterday, took it home, connected the
keyboard, mouse and CRT, and turned it on.  Instant white smoke and
smell of burning plastic!  It's now back at the dealer.  According to
them, "something" -- maybe a bad connector -- went wrong with an audio
wire that hooks up to a speaker that's built into the case (for system
beeps and such).  Apparently, they now need to move all the components
into a new case...we'll see how that goes.

Two things strike me as odd: after 30 minutes of running time, it
immediately died when next turned on (well, OK, maybe that's not so
odd); but, is there really supposed to be enough *juice* running to a
little internal speaker that could fry a foot or so of insulation that
dramatically?

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714