Cheap/free CNC Machine Access...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 6 17:49:16 UTC 2006

I am looking for cheap or ideally free access to a CNC
(Computer Numerical Control) cutting machine for doing
metal Linux case badges.

I am a big fan of tagging my home machines showing
that they are running Linux, to the point were a few
years ago I ordered 20  case badges from these folks:
http://www.scotgold.com/ (I then sold off the badges I
didn't need at a GTALug meeting). Since then I have
been on the look out for interesting case badges.
There used to be an Australian firm "Silicon Breeze"
that offered Linux related cast metal case badges, but
they do not appear to be in business any more. So,
when ran across the following I was interested:

http://www.tep.org.uk/PDF/TEP_Pewter_Bulletin_No2.pdf

Pay attention to the image in the upper left corner of
page 4. This is almost exactly the sort of thing that
would make for a great case badge, a 1" x 1" (or if
you prefer 25mm x 25mm) square with a raised image of
Tux...

The problem here being that I need a mold, and I am
not a big carver. So, I am looking for access to a
very cheap, or if possible free CNC (Computer
Numerical Control) machine, where I figure my way
through putting together a file as to what is to be
cut and the machine cuts the mold, and then I take
things from there.

Anyone have any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Colin McGregor