DIY ISP (was Re:So Rogers has lost me as a customer...)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 22:01:04 UTC 2006

On February 1, 2006 15:05, Vlad Slavoaca wrote:
>         Well, first, DSL technology Doesn't Work Like That(tm). Not
> just the distance, but also, you know, going over Bell's lines and
> into their DSLAM.

I've read HOW-TOs for doing this. It can be done, but the distance is
the killer.

>         What you want is a LANx ("LAN Extension Service").
> Basically, it's a fiber line from your office to another location
> of your choice, usually a datacentre, to your equipment there. If
> you have upstream at that location, all the better.
>         It's basically a Layer 2 link managed by a third party.
> Some can be pretty cheap; as in, about a grand a month for a 10Mbit
> line or so.

That just isn't worth it, not when a Rogers connection is a tenth of
the price and it would cost $35k+ to get fiber to the building. I'm
envious of a friend in the Washington, D.C. area who just got a fiber
10Mb/s connection to his home for $100/mo.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation