DIY ISP (was Re:So Rogers has lost me as a customer...)

Vlad Slavoaca shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 1 20:35:41 UTC 2006

On 2/1/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 03:05:39PM -0500, Vlad Slavoaca wrote:
> >         Well, first, DSL technology Doesn't Work Like That(tm). Not
> > just the distance, but also, you know, going over Bell's lines and
> > into their DSLAM.
>
> SDSL can work like that.  Many SDSL modems can work back to back over
> bare wire pairs.  Still within the limits of DSL distances of course,
> and then there is the issue of needing to have the pair of wire in the
> first place to run it over.

        Fair enough. However, given the requirement of 20+ km, this is
not feasible; nor are too many other ideas. Then again, I'm about 200
metres away from a Bell CO, yet they don't support SDSL to my place,
as it's about 100 metres north of an arbitrary boundary line drawn on
the map. YMMV... literally.

> >         What you want is a LANx ("LAN Extension Service"). Basically,
> > it's a fiber line from your office to another location of your choice,
> > usually a datacentre, to your equipment there. If you have upstream at
> > that location, all the better.
> >         It's basically a Layer 2 link managed by a third party. Some
> > can be pretty cheap; as in, about a grand a month for a 10Mbit line or
> > so.
>
> I have certainly seen companies that offer such services.  Toronto Hydro
> for example.  Amazing what they can do when they run fibre along with
> their power lines around town. :)

        Yup, THT would be one of the more affordable LANx providers
out there. Pretty much any other long-reach technology out there is
too expensive to hit that kind of a distance at a reasonable
bandwidth. Well, unless you have line-of-sight; then you can do
something like a microwave OC3.

> >         Also, having your own ASN is NOT "pretty darn cool". You not
> > only need to be properly multihomed, but have enough address space
> > that it's worthwhile to advertise routes yourself, as opposed to just
> > being aggregated by your various upstream providers.
> >         It's NOT "pretty darn cool" to be yet another guy trying to be
> > a network admin and just adding overhead to the world routing tables.
> > There's already enough issues with clueless netadmins making life hard
> > for everyone else. End NANOG rant.
>
> I wouldn't want to do it.
>
> Len Sorensen

end