Do you prefer mailing lists or web based forums?

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 20:45:27 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:47:50PM -0500, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> [..]
> > Contrast that with something like the debian.user mailing list that gets
> > over 4000+ post a month on average. Talk about trying to take a sip of
> > water from a firehouse! That volume of email actually dissuades me from
> > subscribing.
>
> I am subscribed to many debian mailing lists.  Having a good client that
> threads well makes it much easier to deal with.  Having procmail dump
> each major list into its own folder is also handy.  I am also subscribed
> to lkml and manage to get the useful stuff (useful to me) from there
> without a problem.  Single keystroke delete of an entire thread that
> doesn't matter to me is essential of course.  So is a good spam filter.

For me, that's the whole point. Before I switched to GMail, I used pine to
read this list .. that was painful. Then I discovered I could sort messages
by threads, and it became much easier. Moving to GMail gave me the same
power and gives me a pretty good web UI at the same time, along with limited
filtering.

Having a mail-based system also means no flashing Microsoft ads, no
Goooooogle ads, no ISP ads, no incessant clicking to see the 'next' message;
the entire thread (under GMail, anyway) is on one page. That interface may
not be popular with everyone else, but it works fine for me.

Alex